If you experience an outage, please call.

Our crews are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to ensure safe, reliable and affordable electricity.

Chehalis

(360) 748-9261

Toll Free

(800) 562-5612

Morton

(360) 496-6100

Outage Preparation

We always strive to provide our customers with safe and reliable electricity day and night. Our employees are constantly at work maintaining our power system & clearing vegetation from right-of-ways. Despite our best efforts, severe weather can wreak havoc and cause power outages. Outages vary in severity and length, some lasting only hours while others can last many days. Because most outages are sudden and unexpected, the level of preparation initiated prior to the event will often determine how you will be affected. Therefore, it is extremely important to be prepared for all possible outages or emergencies.

Before An Outage

  • Register life-sustaining medical equipment with the Lewis County PUD.
  • Make sure you have an emergency preparedness kit. See Emergency Preparedness
  • Consider buying a generator. When installing a generator, follow the instructions carefully. Keep your generator outside and run an electric cord inside. Do not connect your generator to main service panels, it’s dangerous! For more information see: Generator Use
  • Have a corded telephone available, cordless phones may not work when the power is out.
  • Have an alternative heat source and supply of fuel.
  • If you own an electric garage door opener, know how to open the door without power.

During An Outage

  • Turn off lights and electrical appliances except for the refrigerator and freezer. Even if it is dark, turn light switches and buttons on lamps or appliances to the “off” position.
  • Unplug computers and other sensitive equipment to protect them from possible surges when the power is restored.
  • Leave one lamp on so you will know when power is restored. Wait at least 15 minutes after power is restored before turning on other appliances.
  • Conserve water, especially if you use well water.
  • Never use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues, portable or propane heaters for indoor heating. They use oxygen and create carbon monoxide that can cause suffocation.
  • Candles can cause a fire. It’s far better to use battery operated flashlights or glow sticks for lighting.
  • Using a kerosene heater or gas lantern inside the house can be dangerous. Maintain proper ventilation at all times to avoid a buildup of toxic fumes.
  • Stay away from downed power lines and any object in contact with the line. For more information see: Public Safety

Keep Food Safe

  • Use and store food carefully to prevent food-borne illness when power outages make refrigeration unavailable.
  • Use food first that can spoil most rapidly.
  • Keep doors to refrigerators and freezers closed. Your freezer should keep food frozen for up to a day. A fully-loaded freezer can keep food frozen for up to two days.
  • Use an ice chest packed with ice or snow to keep food cold.
  • Never taste suspect food. Even if food looks and smells fine, illness-causing bacteria may be present.
  • If in doubt, throw it out!