2021 Fishing Derby Recap
“FISH ON!” On Saturday, June 12, Lewis County PUD, in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service’s Randle Ranger District, hosted the annual Kids’ Fishing Derby at Lake Scanewa in Randle, WA. At least 55 kids participated, and great fun was had by all!
2021’s derby winners were:
- 1st Place: Wyatt Hoskins, 14, Cinebar; Fish was 10.85 pounds, 28.5”
- 2nd Place: Treyson Stamey, 14, Kelso; Fish was 6.93 pounds, 25.25”
- 3rd Place: Hunter Barajas, 13, Kelso; Fish was 5.09 pounds, 23”
- 4th Place: Nova Weismiller, 4, Winlock; Fish was 4.81 pounds, 21”
- 5th Place: Alayna Lang, 5, Randle; Fish was 4.22 pounds, 22”
This annual event is held every year during National Fishing Week.
Check out this video recap of the 2021 Derby!
We are excited to announce that the 2021 Kids’ Fishing Derby will take place on Saturday, June 12, 2021!
What: 2021 Kids’ Fishing Derby
Who: Youth ages 14 and younger
When: Saturday, June 12, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.; Check-in will begin at 8 a.m.
Where: Cowlitz Falls Day Use Park (See “Directions” tab below for detailed directions.)
How: Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Fishing Derby will be limited to the first 50 kids to register. The event will follow Washington State COVID-19 protocols. Registration can be completed in the “2021 Derby Registration” tab below. If there are any spots available on the day of the event, on-site registration will begin at check-in time: 8:00 a.m.
Why: In recognition of National Fishing Week, Lewis County PUD and the U.S. Forest Service Randle Ranger District proudly host an annual Kids’ Fishing Derby for youth ages 14 and younger.
Questions: Please call Cowlitz Falls Hydroelectric Project at 360-497-5351, ext. 4.
REGISTRATION HAS REACHED CAPACITY, AND IS NOW CLOSED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE FISHING DERBY, AND PLEASE CONSIDER PARTICIPATING IN 2022.
- The upstream boundary of the reservoir in the Cowlitz arm is the posted Lewis County PUD sign on Peters Road.
- The upstream boundary of the reservoir in the Cispus arm is the posted markers at the Lewis Co. PUD kayak launch, approximately 1.5 miles upstream from the confluence of the Cowlitz and Cispus arms.
- Trout: Year-round. No minimum size. Daily limit 10 starting July 1st.
- Other Game Fish: Year-round. Statewide min. size/daily limit.
- Salmon: Year-round. Min. size 8″. Daily limit 6. Up to 2 may be adults. Only hatchery Chinook and hatchery Coho may be retained.
- Columbia River Salmon/Steelhead Endorsement
- Barbless hooks required for Salmon/Steelhead
This is not an official source for fishing regulations. These regulations were transcribed from the Washington Sport Fishing Rules (PDF) published by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Always check the rules from a Washington State publication before fishing.
From Morton take Highway 12 east to Savio Road. Turn right and go to Kiona Road. Turn right and follow Kiona Road to Falls Road. Turn right and continue to the Day Use Park on the left.
From Yakima take Highway 12 west to Savio Road. Turn left and go to Kiona Road. Turn left and follow Kiona Road to Falls Road. Turn right and continue to the Day Use Park on the left.