Kids Fishing Derby: Saturday, June 8, 2019
The Derby will begin at 9:00 AM and end at 11:00 AM, with registration beginning at 8:00 AM. The Derby is for kids 14 and younger. Limited assistance is allowed for very young children. Released trout count towards the three fish limit.
Every Spring for the last 20+ years Lewis County PUD and a host of community volunteers have hosted a local Kids Fishing Derby on Lake Scanewa located in East Lewis County.
Each morning of the derby hundreds of eager youngsters flip a line into the water in hopes of catching “the big one.” Throughout the day hundreds of fish are caught with the biggest trout weighing in at about 8 pounds. There are various activities throughout the day for kids to participate in. They can have their faces painted, learn how to clean fish, and participate in a number of mini-games around the area.
Washington State Fish Regulations
July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019
Scanewa Lake (Cowlitz Falls Reservoir)
- The upstream boundary of the reservoir in the Cowlitz arm is the posted Lewis County PUD sign on Peters Road.
- The upstream boundary of the reservoir in the Cispus arm is the posted markers at the Lewis Co. PUD kayak launch, approximately 1.5 miles upstream from the confluence of the Cowlitz and Cispus arms.
- Trout: Year-round. No minimum size. Daily limit 10 starting July 1st.
- Other Game Fish: Year-round. Statewide min. size/daily limit.
- Salmon: Year-round. Min. size 8″. Daily limit 6. Up to 2 may be adults. Only hatchery Chinook and hatchery Coho may be retained.
- Columbia River Salmon/Steelhead Endorsement
- Barbless hooks required for Salmon/Steelhead
This is not an official source for fishing regulations. These regulations were transcribed from the Washington Sport Fishing Rules (PDF) published by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Always check the rules from a Washington State publication before fishing.
*Please register for the Fishing Derby at the Cowlitz Falls Day Use Park Saturday, June 8th. Registration opens at 8:15 am.