How do I get to the office?

The District’s Chehalis Office is located at 321 NW Pacific Ave, Chehalis.

The District’s Morton Office is located at 240 7th Street, Morton.

When and where are the commission meetings held?

Beginning January 17, 2023, regular meetings of the Board of Commissioners of Public Utility District No. 1 of Lewis County are held are held on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:15 p.m.  The location of the meeting can be found at

Who do I contact for current PUD news?

Daniel Hargrove, Communications and Public relations Specialist at (360) 345-1624 or email at

How do I get information regarding online account access and online bill pay?

Please contact the District directly at (800) 562-5612 to have your questions answered.

How do I contact Locating Inc.?

Call 811 or (800) 424-5555.

How do I contact Labor & Industries (L&I) for electrical inspections?

P.O. Box 44814

Olympia, WA 98504

Phone: (360) 902-6350

There are branches / trees in the power lines – who can I call?

Contact Dispatch at (800) 562-5612 ext. 419 to report branches or trees in or near power lines that you feel are a hazard.

My bill seems very high – who can I call?

If you think your bill is high and may have been misread, please call our customer service department at (800) 562-5612.

Where are pay stations located?

Payments can be made at the Chehalis and Morton offices, Online, or over the phone.

When will you read my meter?

Meters are read every month. If you need to know the specific read date for your location, please call customer service at (800) 562-5612.

When is my budget payment recalculated?

Budget payments are recalculated twice a year in the spring and fall.

How is my budget payment calculated?

Budget payments are calculated by taking an average of your last 12-months usage, and splitting it into 12 equal payments the following year.

I have a new mailing address – who do I call?

If you have a new mailing address or phone number, please notify customer service at (800) 562-5612.

What are valid forms of ID?

Valid ID required to start a new account could be a state-issued ID, Visa (not the credit card) or Passport, Military ID card, and a Tax Identification Number (TIN).

How do I sign up for service?

You can sign up for service (activate an account) for a location with existing service equipment at either the Morton or Chehalis office or you can complete our online application by clicking here.  Please call customer service (800) 562-5612 for information.

Can I have my deposit waived?

The security deposit requirement for residential customer can be waived if:

  • The applicant has established a satisfactory payment history with Lewis County PUD
  • A credit check from Online Utility Exchange provides a positive credit report for all applicants.

How are deposits calculated?

The determination of the deposit requirement for residential customer is determined upon the results of a soft credit check through Online Utility Exchange.

Why do you need a key to my locked gate?

See section #8 of the Electrical Service Application and Contract.

Who do I call for payment arrangements?

Contact our customer service department at (800) 562-5612 before your account is past due and request a payment arrangement.

When is a service deposit required?

Security deposits for residential customers who are new to Lewis County PUD will be determined based on the results of a personal credit check utilizing ONLINE Utility Exchange™ Report.

  • Good report result:
    • Deposit waived
  • Low risk result:
    • $100 for monthly accounts
  • High risk result:
    • $250 for monthly accounts

Upon termination of service, the security deposit will be applied to all outstanding charges at the time of the final billing and any remaining funds will be refunded in the form of a check to the primary customer.

I have a family member on life support, is there anything I can do to make sure my service is not interrupted?

Contact customer service at (800) 562-5612 and ask to be placed on the Health Alert/Life Support List.

Where can I get assistance paying my bill?

Please visit our low income assistance page.

Does the PUD offer free in home energy audits?

Yes. The PUD will come to you free of charge and inspect your home or business for potential energy savings. While at your home PUD personnel will inform you about what incentive / rebate programs you may qualify for.

What is a PUD?

A Public Utility District is a community-owned, locally regulated utility created by a vote of the people under RCW 54 as passed by Initiative No. 1.

In 1929, the Washington State Grange collected more than 60,000 signatures – twice the number necessary – to send Initiative No. 1 to the Legislature, allowing rural communities to form their own publicly owned utilities. When the Legislature failed to act, the measure went to a statewide election, where it passed in 1930 with 54 percent of the vote. The new PUD law went into effect in 1931.

The law, now known as RCW 54, authorized the establishment of public utility districts to “conserve the water and power resources of the State of Washington for the benefit of the people thereof, and to supply public utility service, including water and electricity for all uses.

What services are PUDs authorized to provide?

PUDs in Washington are authorized to provide electricity, water and sewer services, and wholesale telecommunications. A PUD may provide one or more of these services, depending on the needs of the community.

Lewis PUD currently provides electricity and wholesale telecommunications.

What is Energy Northwest?

Energy Northwest is a consortium of publicly owned utilities (including Lewis PUD) that owns and operates Columbia Generating Station, the state’s only commercial nuclear plant, the Nine Canyon Wind Project, the Packwood Lake Hydroelectric Project, and the White Bluffs Solar Station. Energy Northwest is also developing the Radar Ridge Wind Project in Pacific County.

How are PUDs regulated?

PUDs are governed by a nonpartisan, locally elected board of commissioners. Commissioners are responsible for setting rates and for overseeing the operation of the PUDs. They meet in open session where members of the public can observe and participate in the decision-making process.

What is I-937?

Ballot Initiative 937 (official name Initiative measure no. 937, known as I-937) is a clean energy initiative passed in the US state of Washington, appearing on the ballot in the November 2006 elections. The initiative requires large utilities to obtain 15% of their electricity from new renewable resources such as solar and wind (but excluding hydro) by 2020 with incremental steps of 3% by 2012 and 9% by 2016. It also requires that utilities undertake all cost-effective energy conservation.

What is BPA?

The Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) is an American federal agency based in the Pacific Northwest. BPA was created by an act of Congress in 1937 to market electric power from the Bonneville Dam located on the Columbia River and to construct facilities necessary to transmit that power. Congress has since designated Bonneville to be the marketing agent for power from all of the federally owned hydroelectric projects in the Pacific Northwest. Bonneville, whose headquarters are located in Portland, Oregon, is one of four regional Federal power marketing agencies within the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

Does the PUD purchase Hydro power?

Yes. The PUD purchases most of it’s power from local and regional hydro generators including BPA (Bonneville).

Does the PUD purchase wind energy?

Yes. The District purchases the output from 2 wind farms located in the Columbia Gorge. That energy is added to the existing pool of energy resources available to the PUD for use in serving customer needs.

What is weatherization?

Weatherization is the practice of protecting a building and its interior from the elements, particularly from sunlight, precipitation, and wind, and of modifying a building to reduce energy consumption and optimize energy efficiency.

What is a ductless heat pump?

A ductless heating and cooling system is a highly efficient system that can easily be installed as a primary or supplemental heat source in electrically heated homes. Ductless systems heat and cool homes for a fraction of the cost of baseboard and wall heaters.

Does the PUD have an energy efficiency lighting program?

Yes. The district has a number of lighting programs for Residential / Commercial / and Industrial customers. Some of the programs are administered through our efficiency partners at NEEA while others are administered by the district. Please visit our Energy Efficiency pages for more information.

Are there any low-cost / no-cost tips to improve energy efficiency?

Yes! has an entire website dedicated to saving energy and is continually updated with the newest technology and tips.

What’s new or on the horizon that could make my home / business more energy efficient?

LED lighting is a very efficient way of converting energy into light and the technology is continuing to improve.

Heat-Pump hot water tanks operate on the same high efficiency principle as regular Heat-Pumps used to heat homes.  This is a fairly new technology and will become more prevalent over time.

Wireless thermostats are gaining popularity and continue to be a great way to manage existing heating sources.

Are there any rebates available for appliances?

Yes, there are still some, but the number is dwindling. Please visit our energy efficiency page for more information.

Will the PUD cut the trees and branches out of my power lines?

On a case by case basis the PUD will provide varying degrees of assistance in tree removal up to and including complete removal and cleanup. Contact the PUD at (800) 562-5612 for further information.

How deep is the electric line buried on my property?

PUD electric lines are generally INSTALLED between 24” and 48” deep; however, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to call 811 and have the lines marked before digging takes place.

Is there a cost associated with getting the PUD to mark my underground electric lines?

The PUD will send a representative to mark all facilities OWNED BY THE PUD at no cost to the requestor. Identification of electric facilities NOT OWNED by Lewis PUD is the responsibility of their owner.  Please see our 811 before you dig page for more information.