Under Washington State law, Veterans who meet minimum qualifications for a position may be eligible for employment preference. You may be eligible for either 5% as a Qualified Veteran or 10% as a Qualified Veteran who served during a period of war or in an armed conflict, but not both.
If you are a Veteran and want to apply for Veterans’ preference points, please submit a completed Veterans’ Preference Form and all required documentation. Veterans’ preference points cannot be awarded without proper documentation.
“Veteran” as per RCW 41.04.007 means a person who: Has received an honorable discharge or received a discharge for medical reasons with an honorable record, where applicable, and who has served in at least one of the following capacities:
- As a member in any branch of the armed forces of the United States, including the national guard and armed forces reserves, and has fulfilled his or her initial military service obligation;
- As a member of the women’s air forces service pilots;
- As a member of the armed forces reserves, national guard, or coast guard, and has been called into federal service by a presidential select reserve call up for at least one hundred eighty (180) cumulative days;
- As a civil service crew member with service aboard a U.S. army transport service or U.S. naval transportation service vessel in oceangoing service from December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946;
- As a member of the Philippine armed forces/scouts during the period of armed conflict from December 7, 1941, through August 15, 1945; or
- A United States documented merchant mariner with service aboard an oceangoing vessel operated by the department of defense, or its agents, from both June 25, 1950, through July 27, 1953, in Korean territorial waters and from August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975, in Vietnam territorial waters, and who received a military commendation.
“Armed Forces” means the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard, including the reserve components thereof. Reserve components mean:
- The Army Reserve;
- The Navy Reserve;
- The Marine Corps Reserve;
- The Air Force Reserve;
- The Coast Guard Reserve;
- The Army National Guard of the United States; and
- The Air National Guard of the United States.
For additional information or questions regarding definitions contact:
Olympia Veterans Service Center
1102 Quince St. SE
P.O. Box 41155
Olympia WA 98504-1155
Toll free: 1-800-562-2308